- Ghirardelli Chocolate - June Sale: Save JUNE10 code for 10% off $100 at Ghirardelli.com!
- Enjoy Great Savings from Free Catalogs
Clothing, Wine & Brew, Invitations,
Wedding, Hobbies & Crafts
If you're looking for the perfect time to roll out beautiful strawberry shortcake desserts, this is it. It's June and you can find great prices on fresh, ripe strawberries, even organic ones!
Do want to make your own ice cream? Here's how to make ice cream with a countertop freezer and how to make ice cream with an old fashioned ice cream freezer.
If you make any of our recipes, let us know what you think on Facebook, or in our message forums!
You are reading our Recipe of the Week newsletter. In 2017 our main monthly newsletter will feature brand new recipes that we add to the TexasCooking.com website. If you do not already receive our monthly newsletter, subscribe here.
This recipe first appeared in the article, Genuine Strawberry Shortcake. It makes six individual shortcakes or one 8-inch shortcake. The shortcake is sliced and served like a layer cake. It's a deliciously light dessert that makes a beautiful presentation.
- 5 cups sliced strawberries
- 6 tablespoons sugar For the whipped topping:
- 1-1/2 cups heavy cream (whipping cream)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract For the Shortcake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (whipping cream)
- 1 tablespoon milk, if needed
- Softened butter
- Prepare the strawberry topping:
- Several hours before serving time, slice the strawberries.
- Mash one cup of the strawberries with a potato masher.
- Stir the mashed berries and juice back in with the rest of the berries.
- Sprinkle the 6 tablespoons sugar over the berries, stir a few times.
- Keep at room temperature until serving time.
- Prepare the whipped topping:
- Whip the 1-1/2 cups heavy cream to soft peaks, adding the 2 tablespoons sugar while the mixer is running.
- Gently fold in the vanilla when the cream is whipped.
- Refrigerate until serving time.
- Preheat oven to 450°F degrees.
- If you are making an 8-inch layer shortcake, butter an 8-inch cake pan.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture has the consistency of coarse crumbs.
- Combine the beaten egg with the cream and pour over the dry ingredients all at once.
- Stir briefly just until mixture comes together.
- If mixture seems dry, stir in 1 tablespoon milk.
- Bake the shortcake:
- For the 8-inch layer shortcake:
- Lightly press the dough into the buttered cake pan, leaving the edges slightly higher than the center.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool on rack for 5 minutes.
- For individual shortcakes:
- Turn dough out on a floured surface and knead and fold 6 or so times.
- Gently pat the dough to a thickness of 3/4 inch.
- Cut 3-inch rounds with a cookie cutter.
- Gather the scraps back together and knead lightly until you have at least six rounds and have used all the dough.
- Place rounds 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool baking sheet on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- To serve either size shortcake, split and butter the shortcake with the softened butter.
- Spoon strawberries and whipped cream between the layers and over the top.
- Serve at once while still warm.
Note: To easily and neatly split the 8-inch shortcake, stick 6 or 8 toothpicks into the side of the layer, just at the middle, all around the layer - like a sun with rays. Using the toothpicks as a guide, slice through the layer with a serrated knife - a bread knife works great.
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell
The serving dishes in our photograph are Fiesta dinnerware.
Lone Star List
Important Texas stuff this week.
- Stetted: Chunky Monkey Smoothie Recipe , Eat the Gains: Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken recipe, Two Places at Once: Sweet Potato Muffins recipe, Kitchen Concoctions: Sweet and Smoky BBQ Dry Rub recipe, Food Banjo: Raspberry Dutch Baby Pancake.
- More fresh strawberry recipes - Fresh Strawberry Pie, Strawberry Meringue Torte, Easy Strawberry Freezer Jam.
- Upcoming Events: Parker County Peach Festival held in Historic Downtown Weatherford, July 8, 2017 - 33rd year!
- Addie Broyles: Use up the last of those spring strawberries with this pound cake
- TM BBQ: Parlez-Vous BBQ? One man’s crazy quest to conquer the culinary capital of the world with smoked brisket.
New Cookbooks We're Reading
- Breakfast in Texas Recipes for Elegant Brunches, Down-Home Classics & Local Favorites
by Terry Thompson-Anderson
- QUESO!: Regional Recipes for the World's Favorite Chile-Cheese Dip
by Lisa Fain
- This new book is a MUST for wine lovers! The Periodic Table of Wine
by Sarah Rowlands
- June is National Iced Tea Month and National Fresh Fruit & Vegetable Month
- Tag Sale Tastes visits Molina's Cantina, Houston's oldest family-owned and operated Tex-Mex restaurant.
- A Pleasant Little Kitchen: Butter Lettuce Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette.
- Dallas Observer: All-American, classic eateries - The AllGood Cafe in Deep Ellum.
- LA Times: Why does drinking craft beer and sweet doughnuts taste good?
- Texas Historical Commission: Sam Rayburn House in Bonham Celebrates Anniversary and New Exhibit.
- Texas Book Festival 2017 Sneak Peek - 12 guest authors revealed!
- MySA: For $35,000, Texas company lets you shoot feral hogs with an M16 from a helicopter.
- Business Insider: Popeye’s is now frying its chicken in mashed-up shortbread cookies..
- Urban IPM: Walnut caterpillars - what to do?
- What to do this weekend? Visit a Farmer's Market! COMPLETE LIST OF FARMERS MARKETS IN TEXAS
Video of the Week: A tall new baby giraffe was born at Fort Worth Zoo on June 8.
Request a Free Garden Catalog
Texas Cooking's monthly newsletter showcases new articles, reviews and recipes on the site. Follow our columns about cooking, Texas trivia and other Texas news as well in this informative email.
Sign up here.
Unsubscribe from the Recipe of the Week Newsletter