- Enjoy Great Savings from Free Catalogs
Clothing, Wine & Brew, Invitations,
Wedding, Hobbies & Crafts
Letter from Dallas
Would it be controversial to say I like the time of year that's immediately after the holidays? That's the time right now. It's because after two long months, things have settled down. In parlimentary language, we've returned to regular order. We're back to taking care of business. The kids are back in school, and we're fixing regular meals.
Since everyone's back in school, today's recipe of the week is a filling one for breakfast, brunch or dinner - Banana Pancakes with Maple Butter.
You are reading our Recipe of the Week newsletter. In 2017 our main monthly newsletter will feature brand new recipes that we add to the TexasCooking.com website. If you do not already receive our monthly newsletter, subscribe here.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 ripe banana, thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, combine the flour brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt, and set aside. In a second bowl, combine the eggs buttermilk, vanilla and melted butter. Mix well, then stir in the mashed banana and banana slices.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, and stir just until blended. Do not over-mix. Allow batter to stand for 5 minutes before using.
- In a small saucepan, combine maple syrup and butter in a 2-to-1 proportion (1 cup maple syrup and 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter). Heat gently and stir until butter is melted and mixture is smooth. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell
The serving dishes in our photograph are Fiesta dinnerware.
Lone Star List
Important Texas stuff this week.
- Eat the Gains: Chicken Cabbage Salad; Two Places at Once: Ranch Chicken, Brussels Sprouts and Bacon Skillet, SNAP Kitchen: 10 Ways to Really Make 2017 a New Year; Measure and Whisk: Cinnamon Muffins with Cinnamon Honey-Butter , and finally, Fit Kim wants to help you with your New Years resolutions 4 Flat Ab Exercises for a trim and toned tummy.
- Charlotte Observer: Why does sugar divide races in the South?
- January 6 is Bean Day! Make a pot of beans!
- If you're looking for really good BBQ in Austin, and you don't want to wait in line for hours, I recommend one of the city's newer spots, Valentina's BBQ. Eater Austin has some exciting news: Valentina’s Tex Mex BBQ Is Growing Up With a New Restaurant.
- MySA: "The future of barbecue" is a place right now at The Pearl.
- D Magazine: History of Dallas Food: Lucas Farms in Mesquite.
- South Austin Foodie presents his best bites in 2016.
- Beaking News! The first ten words every Houstonian teaches their phone (Sneak peak - Westheimer and lots of Mexican food).
- Muy Bueno blog shares a recipe for a delicious-looking Rosca de Reyes (Three Kings Cake) for Three Kings Day.
Best Deals! - Free shipping on orders over $59!
by Sylvia Casares & Dotty Griffith
by Mando Rayo & Jarod Neece
by Chip & Joanna Gaines
- Waco Tribune : Waco's KWTX-TV founder "Buddy" Bostick remembered as innovator.
- Fort Worth Star Telegram Amon Carter Museum receives unprecedented $20 million endowment from Walton family.
- Texas Monthly ranks all of the Texas BBQ sides. (Vinegar coleslaw rules! Dirty rice thumbs-down, Cheese grits thumbs-up!)
- Video of the Week:
Debbie Reynolds sings "If I Had a Hammer"
Request a Free Garden Catalog
Texas Cooking's monthly newsletter showcases new articles, reviews and recipes on the site. Follow our columns about cooking, Texas trivia and other Texas news as well in this informative email.
Sign up here.